Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Revising As I Go!

So when I'm working on the first draft of anything, I really like to just plow ahead. I really don't like to stop and "nit pick" the first 10 to 20 pages, because I often find if I do that, I'll never get beyond those first 10 to 20 pages if I do. I've decided to take a slightly different approach to the writing of this for a couple reasons. One, I started the first draft with a very detailed 14 page outline that I had already made numerous revision to. Two, like a Back to the Future style screenplay, I was REALLY wanting every little detail that I establish earlier in the screenplay to pay off later. So as I am discovering new, fun, and interesting things on page 40 or 50, I may want to go back to bad 4 or 5 and set those ideas/characters/themes up. That way, when they appear later in the script they have more meaning and more of a pay off. With that in mind, I've tried to ensure that I am not hitting the audience over the head with most of these little connections, but rather subtly and casually dropping them in to make a more fulfilling and rounded experience. A couple examples of these connects are: One of the characters (Stephen) starts outs by being a "tag along, push over" who does and accepts anything his friends say or do just to be liked. So, at the start of the story there will be a couple times when he willingly eats peanuts just because Saul (one of his friends) says he likes them. Later in the script however, when actually encouraged by a different character (Zooey) to develop his own likes and dislikes, Stephen very quickly discovers he hates peanuts. Another place I established something to hopefully pay it off in a rewarding way is with the central character of Peter. His character arc is discovering that those he thought loved him (his ex-fiance back home) don't, and those he thought would never care about him (Saul and Stephen) actually do. Peter is a fantastic trumpet player and it is established that he has not played trumpet in many years in order to save his beautiful music for his ex-fiance. By the end of the story, he is playing his trumpet for Saul and Stephen, which demonstrates his change on heart. Well, that is all for now. Until next time, good night and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment