Tuesday, April 7, 2009

The Inspiration of Music

One of my favorite parts of movies is the music. It's wonderful ability to set the tone, mood, and tempo is fascinating! As such, I tend to do a lot of my writing while listening to some kind of music. Most of the time, I'll listen to just one song on repeat for the writing of an entire scene, which could be up to a couple hours! Haha! It really does help to put my mind in the right place, pulling me emotionally from one beat to another. I recently finished writing a very pivotal moment between two of the main characters, where they, for the first time, are able to connect. Initially unsure how to approach the scene, I went music hunting first. I came upon a beautifully piece of music from The Assassination of Jesse James score. The primary emotion I felt while listening to the piece of music was relaxation. I really liked the idea that the first thing that needs to happen for two people to really connect is they need to be comfortable and relaxed around each other. From there I thought, "how do two people come to a felling of relaxation around each other." The answer I decided upon: humor! With that in mind, I wrote the scene where both characters would first laugh about something together. After that, I felt I was able to move the scene into some more serious waters, without it feeling forced or unnatural. Thank goodness for music! Until next time, good night and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment